On November 18, BNP chairperson Begum Khlaeda Zia revealed a detailed proposal for strengthening the Election Commission on behalf of her party. While the ruling Awami League almost immediately brushed the proposal aside, many experts believe that this revelation has created scope for meaningful dialogue between the major parties.
Now, forty five years after the political division brought about through a war between the two nations, Pakistan is trying, rather unconvincingly, to tell those willing to listen to it that Bangladesh owes it money. One could well consider the demand to be a bad joke, given that any study of relations between East and West Pakistan in the twenty four years prior to 1971 will make it clear why in the end the majority Bengalis (who constituted 56 per cent of the country’s population, with the remaining 44 per cent in West Pakistan) decided to go their separate way.
Former Prime Minister Khaleda Zia remains obsessed with an army role in constitutional politics. One certainly understands her preoccupation with the idea of democracy, but when she insists at every given moment that the military must have a role in the determination of the nature of present and future governance, she gives citizens cause for worry. Her camp followers will of course argue, in her defence, that elections cannot be fair in the country without the soldiers being around.
Moulana Abdul Hamid Khan Bhashani’s finest hour came in the final phase of the mass upsurge against Field Marshal Mohammad Ayub Khan in early 1969. As the struggle for a restoration of democracy intensified in what was yet a united Pakistan, Bhashani took charge of the movement and demanded that the Agartala Conspiracy Case be withdrawn and that Sheikh Mujibur Rahman be freed without conditions. He vowed to lead a march on Dhaka cantonment, where all the accused in the case were being tried, and compel the military junta to accede to the popular demand.
Just this year, around 36,853 new tax-payers got themselves registered in the tax fair. Some 195,000 tax-payers paid around Tk213,000bn in income tax. Apparently, a feel-good factor comes into play on such occasions. However, have we ever wondered if our money is ending up in good hands?
Kudos to Mayor Annisul Huq for his move to take over the illegal part of the land of Pakistani Governor Abdul Monem Khan. In the midst of such a move, demands have come from Ghatok Dalal Normul Committee to seize all properties of war criminals and other anti-Bangladesh entities. This is perhaps a demand made late, but we can still bring it to fruition.
The attacks were set off by outrage over an image on Facebook depicting the Hindu god Siva at a Muslim holy site in the city of Mecca. On Oct. 30, hundreds of angry Muslims ransacked 15 temples and the homes of more than 100 families in a Hindu neighborhood in Nasirnagar, northeast of Dhaka. The police did not intervene. Other attacks on Hindus took place across Bangladesh.
The triumphant AL of the post Council 2016 era is looking worse for wear within a month as Nasirnagar and Santal “genocide”, as Sultana Kamal has called it, hits the government. One had thought that nothing could disturb its image in those heady days, but Nasirnagar alone has cost the confidence of most minority citizens and the Santal pogrom has given it a stamp of pattern.
Recent revelations related to our surge in economic growth have underlined its inter-active engagement with poverty reduction.
One of the most pressing items before the United States Congress in its upcoming lame-duck session, or at the onset of its new session in January will be the ratification of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) which was signed in February this year by 12 countries in the Pacific Ocean Basin.
India remians the inflexible bête-noir for Pakistan, yet there are few books by Indian authors that have sought to interpret the prodigal neighbour in a holistic, informed and empathetic manner.
The line that Mortimer Durand drew across a small map in 1893 has bled the Pashtun heart ever since. More than a century later both sides of that line remain restless. But the mystery behind what actually happened on 12 November 1893 has never ...
What went wrong for the West in Afghanistan? Why couldn't a global coalition led by the world's preeminent military and economic power defeat "a bunch of farmers in plastic sandals on dirt bikes" in a conflict that outlasted b...
What will be Pakistan's fate? Acts of commission or omission by itself, in/by neighbours, and superpowers far and near have led the nuclear-armed country at a strategic Asian crossroads to emerge as a serious regional and global concern whi...
Some South African generals, allied with the British forces, sought segregation from the enlisted men, all blacks, after being taken prisoners of war. The surprised German commander told them firmly that they would have to share the same quarte...