Maldives

Former Maldives President withdraws from presidential polls

Jul 2, 2018
Former Maldivian President Mohamed Nasheed said on Friday that he has withdrawn his ticket from the presidential elections scheduled for September 23.
 
In a message on his official Twitter account, Nasheed said after the Election Commission sent a letter to his Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP), saying that he could not contest the presidential polls, he decided to relinquish his presidential ticket.
 
MDP spokesperson Hamid Abdul Gafoor told Xinhua news agency that following the "current circumstances", Nasheed had decided not to contest for the betterment of the MDP. Gafoor said the party congress would meet on Saturday.
 
Nasheed's nomination was rejected by the poll body as he faces terrorism charges.
 
The Elections Commission said last month that anyone convicted of a criminal offence could not legally contest in a political party's presidential primary, warning that such elections would be annulled.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Kerala floods: Writing on the wall that was ignored

The questions that need to be asked is how further in the past should Kerala go back to understand this disaster? And how much into the future should the state go to reflect on the calamity that it had brought on to itself?

Read more...

Bimstec envoys call for early conclusion of FTA

Ahead of the Bimstec Summit in Nepal this month-end, envoys of the seven-nation regional bloc on Monday called for early conclusion of negotiations for a Free Trade Agreement (FTA) among member-...

Read more...
Tweets about SAMonitor
SAM Facebook