Sri Lankan Ports Authority says 'unaware' of Adani’s claim on WCT

A day after India’s Adani Group claimed that it would acquire a 51 percent stake in West Container Terminal of Colombo port, Sri Lankan Ports Authority (SLPA) has now said they are "unaware" of such claims

Mar 17, 2021
Image
A

A day after India’s Adani Group claimed that it would acquire a 51 percent stake in West Container Terminal of Colombo port, Sri Lankan Ports Authority (SLPA) has now said they are "unaware" of such claims. 

The original proposal of the Sri Lankan government was to keep the 15 percent stake for the SLPA, and the rest 85 percent would be held by others, Daya Ratnayake, the chairman of the SLPA, was quoted as saying by News 1st. 

He further added he was “unaware” how Adani Group  had secured the deal for 51 percent. 

Earlier this week, in a statement released by the Adani Group’s APSEZ, the company for the first time confirmed its participation to jointly develop the WCT along with Sri Lanka’s John Keells Holding PLC and Sri Lankan Ports Authority (SLPA). 

“APSEZ… a key subsidiary of the diversified Adani Group, received a Letter of Intent (LOI) from the Ministry of Ports and Shipping of Sri Lanka and the Sri Lanka Ports Authority, acting on behalf of the Government of Sri Lanka, pursuant to approval from the Sri Lankan Cabinet of Ministers for the development and operations of WCT in Colombo, Sri Lanka,” the company said in a statement. 

downloadingmymind.com

SPS-NBN

News Behind the News Special Studies

Tweets about SAMonitor
SAM Facebook

Newsletter Subscription

The subscriber's email address.
Stay informed - subscribe to our newsletter.