Burial of Sri Lankan Covid victims in Maldives divides public opinion in both nations
The Maldives’ former president Maumoom Abdul Gayoom voiced his opposition over the proposal to bury Sri Lankan Muslims, who died of the COVID-19 virus, in the islands, Sun news reported
The Maldives’ former president Maumoom Abdul Gayoom voiced his opposition over the proposal to bury Sri Lankan Muslims, who died of the COVID-19 virus, in the islands, Sun news reported.
“Bringing the bodies of foreign Covid-19 victims to be buried in [the] Maldives is something that I can’t support,” said the former president in a tweet on Monday evening. He also added we warmly welcome all foreign visitors, irrespective of their nationality and faith, and wish them a happy and peaceful stay here.
The Maldives government is considering the proposal of the Sri Lankan government for the burial of its Muslims COVID-19 victims in one of its islands.
The foreign ministry had confirmed earlier that they had received a letter from Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa seeking help in this regard.
Gayoom, who ruled the archiplegao from 1978 to 2008, clarified his stand on Tuesday morning. He said the Maldives government isn’t obligated to do so. Allowing the burial in the Maldives, he argued, would mean support to the "mistreatment" of Muslims by the hands of the Sri Lankan government.
Sri Lanka has a policy of cremating all people, irrespective of religion, who died of the COVID-19 virus. The Muslim community in Sri Lanka has been protesting against the policy for weeks.
Meanwhile, religious scholars in the Maldives extended their support for burial in the country. People in the country are divided over the issue. Some, who oppose the move, argue that the help would mean support to Sri Lankan’s unjustified policy towards Muslims. And others, who support, say the Maldives should help Muslims who are mistreated in any part of the world.
Former Sri Lankan Finance Minister Mangala Samaraweera came down heavily on his government saying: “If this is true, It is disgrace that Sri Lanka has to request a neighbouring country ‘to facilitate the funeral rights’ of some of its own country.
Surprisingly, a spokesperson of the Sri Lanka cabinet said the cabinet is unaware of any request made to the Maldivian authority on behalf of the President. The matter wasn’t discussed in the last cabinet meeting, he added.

Post a Comment